Sylvania Sentinel - July 27, 1977 - WHERE'S THAT? - Part 2 - By Kathryn M. Keller (Collins Farm to Devilbiss Bridge)
COLLINS FARM. Sylvania Northview High School. Harry Collins, a Toledo businessman and horse fancier, raised and trained riding horses here. The farm buildings were built into the side of the hill overlooking the creek.
COLUMBIA OR WILDERNESS SCHOOL. Site of the church of the Nazarene, McCord and Sylvania Ave. (Today in 2006 the site of Rite-Aid).
COMMONS. Site of Sylvania Savings Bank, Main and Monroe. (Today Key Bank). Open lot where boys played scrub ball games. Medicine shows and photographers set up shop in their wagons there. (Northeast corner of Main and Monroe).
COTTONWOOD SWAMP. West and north of Sylvania city. Heavy timbered land with little natural drainage. Once cleared and "dried out" became fertile, heavy, black soil farmland. The trees furnished lumber for not only Sylvania's mills but Toledo's as well.
COTTONWOOD SWAMP ROAD. See Adrian Rd.
CRESCEUS. A Toledo & Western Railroad stop at the Ketcham Farm on Alexis Rd. Cresceus, a record breaking trotting horse, was foaled on this farm about the same time the T & W began to run. The stop was at or near Manley Lane which was the main driveway into the farm.
THE DAM. Across Ten Mile Creek, west of Main St. water was impounded for use in the steam boilers of the Toledo & Western powerhouse. Many years before that there were two other dams, one opposite Burnham Bldg., and the other across the little creek at Monroe St. put in by Gen. White.
DAMICO'S. Toledo Steel Tube site, Centennial and Central. (southeast corner). The Damico family lived in the house that had been built by the Bairds in the late 1860's or early 1870's. Some distance back on the farm were the feeding lots for cattle and a slaughter house.
THE DEPOT. DEPOT GROVE. Southbriar (shopping complex). The south side neighborhood was almost a little community in itself with the railroad station and water tower, stores, mills a blacksmith shop, a school, Clark's meat business and a bandstand in the grove.
DEVILBISS BRIDGE. Central Avenue bridge at Wildwood Preserve replaced the rough stone bridge that was named for Thomas DeVilbiss. Toledo inventor and businessman, who in the 1920's purchased hundreds of acres along Central Ave. and Corey Rd. The Wildwood tract and the DeVilbiss Boy Scot Reservation were part of his holdings.