Sylvania Sentinel - July 11, 1977 - WHERE'S THAT? - Part 3 - By Kathryn M. Keller (Diamond Hill to Guardian Angel Day School)
DIAMOND HILL. - Stranahan School. The Diamond family lived here with a natural spring on the hill-side just north of the farmhouse. A neighborhood Sunday School used to meet here under the guidance of the Rev. Solon Haughton from the Holland area. Every wagoner knew and dreaded Diamond Hill for the deep yellow sand on the road going by that farm was all but impassable.
DIVISION ST. - Main St. north of the creek. The dividing line between Gen. White's plat of Whiteford and Judge Wilson's plat of Sylvania. Bob Wyandt in his research of old council records found that Division St., Ohio St., Maumee St., and the Adrian Rd. inside the village limits were combined into one thoroughfare called Main St. in 1923.
DYNAMITE BRIDGE. - A small dynamite mixing plant once stood in the wilderness where the Blue Cross Bldg. is. It blew up, as such uprising businesses are wont to do, toppling chimneys over on Central Ave. and leaving one workman a bit shaken himself when a scale weight went through the hat he was wearing. The "works" were never rebuilt but its name lingered on for quite a few years, on the section of Sylvania Ave. from Monroe St. and out beyond Holland-Sylvania Rd.
EAGLE'S NEST. Dorr and Holland-Sylvania intersection.
ELDEN'S. - This once referred to the neighborhood around Alexis and Whiteford Rd. where the Elden family lived and ran a store. Later it referred to Elden's Coal Yard and Building Supplies located on Monroe St. (6426 Monroe).
ERIE AND KALAMAZOO R.R. - Penn Central route from Toledo to Adrian. This pioneer railroad was chartered by Michigan and ran for a short time with horse-drawn equipment. It became part of the Michigan Southern R.R. then the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern, then New York Central and now "the old road" of Penn Central's system (then Conrail).
GIN AND SUGAR CHURCH. - Armstrong's barn on Summit St. (Today parking lot of Reeb Funeral Home - NW corner of Maplewood and Summit). It was built near its present site, probably named the Christian Church. Its nickname might have been suggested by the more demonstrative services of a later congregation whom more staid Sylvanians considered somewhat akin to behavior while under the influence. Abandoned as a church it was moved north on Summit to serve as a barn. Dr. E.E. Armstrong bought it and moved it up to his corner to serve as barn and stable.
GINGER HILL, GINGER HILL SCHOOL. - Prehistoric lakes that once covered the Sylvania area left beaches of yellow ginger sand. Flanders Rd. was laid out on such a formation and the locality was referred to as Ginger Hill, with a school by the same name south of Alexis.
GLANNTOWN. - Silica. H.G. Glann owned the northeast corner of Sylvania and Centennial Rd. where he took out stone to use when he graded and stoned Central Ave. This was about 1912. The community that grew up there during the glass sand discovery and excitement became known as Silica--the chemical name for sand.
GUARDIAN ANGEL DAY SCHOOL. - Site of St. Joseph Church. An elementary school established by the Sisters of St. Francis during the depression years when the St. Joseph parish could no longer support a school. The four classrooms of this tuition school building moved the church building with the original St. Joseph school building moved around to the west side. The statue of the Guardian Angel which used to stand over the main entrance of the school now stands on a pedestal put up on the north side of the present church. The parish again has its own school in a new building.