Sylvania Sentinel - August 10, 1977 - WHAT'S THAT? - Part 4 - By Kathryn M. Keller (Hallett's Crossing to Old Council Building)
HALLETT'S CROSSING. Central Ave., viaduct of the Penn Central R.R. The Hallett family lived near here, hence the name.
HARMS PLACE. Sylvania Northview High School. Before this property became the Collins horse farm the Harms family cultivated the place - the best known of their crops, to young mischievous boys, at least, was watermelons.
HARROUN FARM. Crestview-Flower-Lake Park complex. Three Harrouns were among the earliest settlers in the Sylvania area. David Harroun, Jr., established his family farm along the present Harroun Rd. It was to become one of the first dairy farms in Sylvania with blooded cattle - Holstein Friesian. The property was held by succeeding generations of the Harrouns and around the early 1930's was sold to Randolph Burnard who kept the name Indian Knoll Farm for the estate he developed there.
HASTY FARM. East side of Hasty Rd. The Hasty family were early settlers, their name being given not only to the road but to a schoolhouse which still stands on Bancroft St., near the Langenderfer Contractors yard. Mr. and Mrs. Al Reuben kept the name Hasty Farm for the property where they lived in the farmhouse and raised and trained horses that became world-famous. The name will continue in a projected housing development in that area.
HI PARKER'S PLACE. Highland Meadows Golf Club. The Parkers were early settlers and related to the Comstocks who lived on the farm adjoining theirs. It is said that the name Highland Meadows was derived in part from Hiram Parker's name. Mr. Parker lost his life in the tragic collision of a T & W car and a steam railroad engine at the Phillips Ave., crossing in West Toledo.
HOTEL CORNER. Maplewood and Main. A hotel occupied the northwest corner from Sylvania's earliest years until 1915 when the Hotel Victory burned to the ground there, taking the lumberyard and several houses with it. It next became Fred Myers' Auto Sales and Garage in the building that still stands there.
HUNDRED ACRES. Huntington Farms.
INDIAN ROAD. Corey Rd., Indian Rd., in Ottawa Hills together with Corey Rd. was an Indian trail following Ten Mile Creek on the high ground Corey Rd. was known for years as Indian Rd. and was renamed for one of the pioneer families that settled along the route who spelled their name incidentally, without an "E".
INDIANA TERRITORIAL ROAD. Sylvania Metamora Rd. Maplewood Ave., Main St., Monroe St., to Alexis Rd., Michigan Territory of which the Sylvania area was a part passed legislation that provided for the surveying of a road to begin at Vistula (later Toledo) on the Maumee River to the Indiana line. Because the road was to reach Indiana and because it was a work of Michigan Territory, it was called the Indiana Territorial Rd. Actually it was the first road heading westward to Chicago in northern Ohio. It was really little more than a surveyed route with very little clearing done and no drainage but it was used heavily by settlers heading west and into the lower tier of Michigan counties. In the late 1840's there was an attempt to improve the road by the Plank Road Co. to which many individuals and most of the communities along its route subscribed. Sawmills were moved in that work over the felled trees to make the planking which was laid on stringers. A little grading was done, but still no drainage. The green planking curled up or snapped in two making it hazardous for horses. The toll gates set up along the way didn't collect enough to keep up the expenses of repair work, to say nothing of turning a profit for the company. After a few years there was nothing left of the road but just a muddy, winding trail, some sunken plank that turned up when Main Street was paved in Sylvania, and two blocks of village street still called Indiana. This was Maplewood Avenue, part of the old Territorial Road that was renamed in 1923.
KEELER ROAD. Central Avenue. As late as 1875 Central Avenue was not a continuous road from Toledo to the Lucas-Fulton County line. It stopped at the railroad crossing near Reynolds Road and began again at about King Road - head westward once more. It is my supposition that because Central Avenue at the Toledo end passed close to the Farm of Major Coleman I. Keeler on Collingwood Avenue it took its name, Keeler Road from that Major Keeler was an early lumber dealer in Toledo, the first one to so advertise and perhaps in the clearing of the forests out this direction left his name on the route used to bring timber to the settlement around Toledo.
KETHAM'S FARM. See Cresceus.
LAKE SHORE & MICHIGAN SOUTHERN R.R.. See Erie and Kalamazoo R.R.
MALLETT'S CORNERS. Trilby. Intersection of Alexis and Secor. The Mallett's were early settlers there.
MAPLE GROVE. The Lathrop-Vogt house on South Main Street. Elkanah Briggs built the house and died shortly after. It passed into the hands of Lucian Lathrop pioneer settler west of Sylvania, and his son Miles. Many other people have lived in the house, among them the Crandall and Fallis families. At one time a Miss Heckman ran a tea room here, at which time it was known as Maple Grove.
MAUMEE ROAD. South Main Street. Holland-Sylvania Road.
MILL HOUSE and MILL POND. The mill pond was on the South Side about where the bean packaging building it. (Today in 2006 carpet storage building). It afforded water for the grist mill the heading mill and the saw mill located in the vicinity. The Chudzinski home on South Main Street was usually occupied by one or the other proprietors of the different mills - the Chamberlains and Bordners in the grist mill business and the Burns family connected with the sawmill among them.
MILLER'S WOODS. The heavily wooded area of Secor Park.
MILLION DOLLAR HIGHWAY. Monroe Street. So called at the time the road was widened and paved from Sylvania into Toledo. About this time Monroe Street, which dead-ended at Silica Drive was extended to meet Erie Street.
MITCHAW. Mitchaw and Brint Roads. A crossroads community with a general store, saloon, postoffice, one-room school, Methodist church and Grange Hall which faded from the map with the T & W R.R. went through a mile north of its siphoning off the trade, and the introduction of Rural Free Delivery estimated the need for the postoffice.
MOORE'S CORNERS. Central and Centennial. See Damico's. The Moore's who lived here raised ponies, so it is sometimes referred to as the old pony farm.
OAK GROVE and OAK GROVE SCHOOL. Corey Road. Oaks of all kinds stood thick along the old Indian Trail. The little brick school that still stands was often referred to as Corey School but some local residents preferred the name Oak Grove. Neighborhood news printed in early Sylvania papers came under the heading Oak Grove.
OHIO AVENUE. South Main Street from the creek to St. Joseph Church. See Division Street.
OLD STONE BLACKSMITH SHOP. Site of office building just north of Chandler's Hardware. Built as a carriage works with two stories by J.J. Richie in the 1850's. Its stone walls were cut down to one story after the fire which destroyed the original hardware store burned the roof off the carriage shop. It served as a blacksmith shop for years until the coming of automobiles when it became Cooper's Tire Shop. The whole thing was raised to make way for the Sylvan Theatre in about the 1930's. Television closed many theatres, the Sylvan among them. A pharmacy occupied the building for a time. Since then it has been completely remodeled for use as an office building.
OLD COUNCIL BUILDING. Photomat lot (Today Ace Hardware Parking Lot) northwest corner of Monroe and Main. The village council met in rented quarters of the old Masonic Temple which stood on Monroe Street about where the Van Shop and Fleetwing Station are today. (Today where the Sylvania Park is located). After 30 years of meeting here the Council, in March, 1898, appointed a building committee headed by Mr. Calkins. Bids were taken and the contract was awarded to Michael Smith of Smith's Siding for $1,325. As Sylvania grew, this old town hall became more crowded and more dilapidated. So it was replaced by the Municipal Building. The Old Council Building was pulled down shortly after.